CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas — The Texas Department of Transportation's announcement that design activities on the new Harbor Bridge have been suspended has left a lot of unanswered questions.
In response to questions from KRIS 6 News on Thursday about the project designer, The FIGG Bridge Group, TxDOT said that it asked Flatiron Dragados to "suspend design activities" on the project.
“When I read the statement, it was unclear to me,” said Rep. Todd Hunter-(R) Corpus Christi.
TxDOT said it's reviewing decisions by the National Transportation Safety Board. The NTSB recently found FIGG liable for last year's pedestrian bridge collapse at Florida International University in Miami. That collapse killed six people. Hunter wants reassurances about our bridge project.
“I want to make sure that the taxpayers and our area feel comfortable, feel safe, and have a clear understanding of how we go forward,” said Hunter.
While Hunter takes an active role with TxDOT, the city watches and waits.
“We'll give them their space and time to focus on the issue at hand,” said city manager Peter Zanoni. “When they're ready, they'll tell us what we need to know.”
Zanoni says he's in regular contact with TxDOT about the Harbor Bridge Project. He's hopeful this suspension won't mean further delays.
“We know already there was some delay,” said Zanoni. “We'll see if this causes any additional delay to the project.”
Hunter tells KRIS 6 News that he and members of our local legislative delegation will meet with TxDOT for a briefing on the Harbor Bridge Project on Monday afternoon at the Capitol in Austin.