CORPUS CHRISTI, TEXAS — Federal health officials have identified *red onions* as the source of a salmonella outbreak that has sickened hundreds in more than half the country.
According to the Food and Drug Administration and the Centers for Disease Control, the red onions appeared to have come from Thomson International which is located in Bakersfield, California.
So far at least 396 cases have been reported from 34 states. No deaths have been reported but 59 people have been hospitalized.
Consumers, restaurants, and retailers are urged to not eat, serve or sell *any* onions from Thomson International.
If you don't know where your onions are from, you should just throw it away.
The FDA says Thomson International will recall all varieties of onions that have come in contact with the red onions.
The following products are subject to the public health alert:
- 7.25-oz. plastic sealed container labeled as “Sausage Breakfast Scramble Bowl” with lot code TFD212AU8 and TFD213AU8 and with a best if used by 08/06/2020 or 08/07/2020.
- 6.2-oz. plastic sealed container labeled as “Taylor Farms Cheddar Cheese & Chicken Salad Snack Tray” with use by date 08/06/20 or 08/07/20 and lot code TFD212AU7 and TFD213AU7.
- 41.35-oz. plastic bags containing “Chicken Salad” with use by date 08/04/20 or 08/05/20 and lot codes TFD212AU8 and TFD213AU8.
- 10-oz. plastic sealed container labeled as “Chicken Salad Deli Snack” with lot codes TFD212AU3 and TFD213AU3 with best by dates 08/06/2020 or 08/07/2020.
- 7.75-oz. plastic sealed container labeled as “H.E.B. Shake Rattle Bowl SOUTHWEST SALAD with CHICKEN” and a best if used by date of “Aug 10/2020 and lot code TFD213AU20.
- 17.25-oz. plastic sealed container labeled as “Marketside SOUTHWEST STYLE SALAD WITH CHICKEN” with a best if used by date of 08/11/20 or 08/12/2020 and lot codes TFD212AU26 or TFD213AU26.
The products bear the establishment number “"P-34733" or "34733" inside the USDA mark of inspection or printed on the container. These products were shipped to retail locations in Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Oklahoma, and Texas.