NewsLocal News

Actions

Young Shoreline shooting victim may have been abused

ShorelineShooting.JPG
Posted at 8:13 PM, Jun 04, 2020
and last updated 2020-06-05 18:06:39-04

A hearing to determine who will get temporary custody of a boy who was shot along the Corpus Christi Bayfront last month has been delayed.

The 6-year-old, who Corpus Christi Police Department officials, said was shot in the jaw while riding in an SUV with his family on May 9 was placed into state-mandated foster care several days ago.

The reason for the children's removal currently is unknown, but during a short hearing in County Court at Law 5 on Thursday afternoon, allegations were made that the boy was being abused.

Judge Timothy McCoy presided over the hearing, and was supposed to decide whether the children would remain in the state's care, but he postponed the hearing after more than a dozen witnesses appeared to testify.

McCoy rescheduled the proceedings for 8:30 a.m. June 19 in order to give witnesses ample time to testify.

The petitioning attorney in the case is acting on behalf of Nueces Co. She also cited the amount of evidence that needed to be presented in the case, including footage from a traffic camera on Shoreline Boulevard and People's Street which captured the moments that led up to the May 9 shooting.

She also updated the judge on the boy's condition, saying he was released from the hospital on Monday. She said his jaw still is wired shut, but that wire will be removed sometime between now and June 10.

Meanwhile, 35-year old Arnold Angel Soto and his 16-year old son were arrested in connection with the boy's shooting. Soto remains in the Nueces Co. Jail. At last report, his son was at the Nueces Co. Juvenile Justice Center.

Arnold Soto.png