CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas — Corpus Christi Fire and Police Departments are reminding citizens about safety and city ordinances before they start holiday celebrations.
It is illegal to discharge fireworks inside Corpus Christi city limits, including the beach.
Violators could be facing a fine of up to $2,000 per opened package of fireworks.
To call reports of illegal discharge of fireworks please call 886-COPS (2677). The police implore you to not call 911 for fireworks complaints.
Among fireworks safety facts include:
- Never use fireworks while impaired by drugs or alcohol.
- Never allow young children to handle fireworks.
- Older children should use fireworks only under close adult supervision.
- Anyone using fireworks or standing nearby should wear protective eyewear.
- Never light fireworks indoors.
- Always use fireworks away from people, structures, and inflammable material.
- Only light one device at a time and maintain a safe distance after lighting.
- Never ignite devices in a container.
- Do not try to relight or handle malfunctioning fireworks.
- Soak unused fireworks in water for a few hours before discarding.
- Keep a bucket of water nearby to fully extinguish fireworks that don’t go off or in case of a fire.
And remember, there are no large-scale city sponsored fireworks displays for the city on Tuesday.