NewsLocal News

Actions

Second NAS-CC attack suspect no longer sought

Posted at 4:32 PM, May 26, 2020

The FBI's Houston field office said Tuesday it no longer believes a second suspect was involved in last week's Naval Air Station-Corpus Christi attack.

“While there was initial concern about a potential second person of interest, intense investigation leads us now to believe there was not,” officials told NBC News' Pete Williams.

The incident, in which 20-year-old Adam Salim Alsahli is accused of shooting a military policewoman at the base's north gate in an attempt to gain access to the facility, is still under investigation.

"The heroic actions of the Master-at-Arms Petty Officer 2nd Class who risked her life and did not hesitate to engage the subject, as well as the actions of the Navy Security Forces, likely stopped what could have been a much more deadly attack," the FBI said in a statement.

It still is being investigated as a terror-related incident.

Alsahli, who has been identified as a Del Mar College student and a Syrian-born American citizen, was killed during the attack.