CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas — The Nueces County Sheriff's Department has unveiled a new van it hopes will help them attract new recruits.
Sheriff John Hooper unveiled the new vehicle this morning during a press conference at the McKenzie Annex on North Padre Island.
The van, which you'll see around town, will advertise that the agency is hiring.
The sheriff says he hopes it will catch people's attention and encourage people to apply for a correctional officer's position with the Nueces County Sheriff's Department.
The new tool comes at a perfect time. Sheriff Hooper says the McKenzie Jail Annex on North Padre Island Drive is adding two more dorms. So, more correctional officers will be needed there.
Jailers are also needed for the county jail.
"We're about 24 (jailers) short and when you're 24 short out of 180 staff positions, that creates a challenge," Hooper said. "It creates a challenge for the management team. it creates a challenge for the correctional officers that are working a floor."
He said the lack of officers forces current officers to work overtime.
Currently, the salary for a cadet is $31,169 a year. Once a cadet is state certified, they will qualify as corrections officers and make $35,127 a year.
The Sheriff's Office requires applicants to:
- Take a county civil service exam
- Have a high school diploma or GED (must provide proof)
- Be at least 18 years old
- Be a U.S. citizen
- Have satisfactory criminal background
- Take a medical exam and drug screen
- Undergo a psychological exam
- if you're interested in applying, you can contact the Nueces County Sheriff's Department Recruiting Officer at 361-887-2235 or click here.