CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas — McDonald's HACER® scholarship is seeking Hispanic high school seniors to apply for up to $100,000 in scholarship money.
The winners will be picked based on their academic achievement, community involvement and financial need.
Up to 30 winners will be selected nationwide.
The education gap for Hispanic students in the United States is a reality.
And although the rate of Hispanic students that obtain a college degree has increased during the last 10 years, the cost remains of attending college is still a challenge for many.
Since 2008, the McDonald’s HACER® National Scholarshiphas awarded nearly $5 million to support Hispanic students’ higher education goals. In 2018, the scholarship was expanded, awarding 30 students across the country – 6 times as many winners than in previous years.
Eligibility requirements include:
- You’re a high school senior
- You’re a legal U.S. resident
- You’re younger than 21 years old
- You carry a minimum 3.0 GPA
- You’re eligible to attend a two- or four-year college or university with a full-time course of study
- You’ll disclose other scholarship programs that you’ve applied for
- You’ll enroll and attend an accredited institution in the academic year after your selection (verification needed, as scholarship funds are paid directly to the schools)
- You have at least one parent of Hispanic heritage
Scholarship recipients are selected on:
- Academic achievement
- Financial need
- Community involvement
- Personal qualities and strengths as portrayed in a personal interview, either in-person or by
- Winners are selected by May-June. (Look for emails by mid-February to see if you are a semi-finalist.)
No essay is required. The only other requirements include:
- Personal statement
- Letter of recommendation to be submitted online
- List of community service projects
- FAFSA report and/or 1040s
For more information or to apply, click on this website here. The deadline to apply is Feb. 5.