NewsLocal News


Lubbock man dies after one-punch assault at Rockport bar, man arrested

He died in the hospital eight days after the attack
Posted at 6:07 PM, Dec 04, 2020

ROCKPORT, Texas — The Rockport Police Department said an arrest was made today in connection to a late-night assault on a 29-year-old at a Rockport bar that left him hospitalized and dying eight days later.

According to a press release by Rockport Police, detectives within the department filed a criminal complaint against 42-year-old Jerry Fayne Bray, Jr. of Bastrop, Louisiana, charging him with manslaughter, a felony of the second degree in connection to the death of Scott Audibert, of Lubbock.

"Bray, who has been staying and working in the Rockport area for several months, was taken into custody without incident by Rockport detectives a short time ago," said RPD Investigations Commander Jerry Lawing in the release, who added that Aransas County Justice of the Peace Diane McGinnis issued a warrant for the suspect's arrest. "Bray is currently being held in the Aransas County Detention Center."

According to the department's chief Greg Stevens, the case remains an active investigation.

If you have any information about this case, you’re asked to call RPD at (361) 790-1105.

Audibert died on Thursday, family and friends had announced.

Lawing said the assault caused great bodily injury to the victim, and had mentioned he was experiencing brain bleeds while hospitalized.

The incident happened around 11 p.m. at the Rack & Pub Eatery on Nov. 25 — the night before Thanksgiving. Owner Tawni Jones said her restaurant-bar is family-friendly and doesn’t generally experience these kind of situations.

Jones showed KRIS 6 News the security camera footage she shared with police — clearly identifying both parties from the incident. Within that video, Audibert and the man in question can be seen talking with one another in a relaxed setting. Minutes later, it could be seen that a single punch from the man in question caused Audibert to fall to the ground, motionless. Jones said they were able to call paramedics within a minute.

Out of respect to the victim’s family, Jones said she would not be sharing that video with the public.

Friends of Audibert described him as an outgoing man who was never a stranger and had a passion for cars.

“He’s basically like a brother,” said Michael Nichols, who had met Audibert at Texas Tech while studying automotives. “He was so caring and willing to go the extra mile for people, but that’s why so many people loved him.”

Another automotive friend from Texas Tech, Payton Ray, who currently lives in Memphis, said he was shocked to learn of the news.

“No one really expects anything like this to happen. Especially with all the bright things ahead in their future,” Ray said. “He was the one that was making friends whenever we go places, not like trying to find enemies or anything like that so, it’s very heartbreaking to say the least.”

The Rockport Police Department described the incident as a tragic event.

For those who want to help, Nichols said he created a GoFundMe page for the family.