NewsLocal News


Early-morning South Side fire caused by overheated extension cord

Sutton Lane fire.jpg
Sutton Lane.jpg
Posted at 9:44 AM, Jun 15, 2022
and last updated 2022-06-15 18:39:51-04

UPDATE (4:32 p.m.): CCFD Chief Robert Rocha said Wednesday the fire started when an extension cord overheated. The off-duty firefighter also has been identified as 20-year CCFD veteran David Cantu.

UPDATE (2:09 p.m.): Elizabeth Oliveira continues to receive treatment at the San Antonio Military Medical Center's burn unit, according to her sister, Mary Fant. Fant said the 56-year-old Oliveira received burns all over her body, and Oliveira's son, 38-year-old Benjamin Oliveira — who also was also in the house — said his mother is stable, but critical condition. Benjamin Oliveira was treated and released for smoke inhalation.

UPDATE (10:08 a.m.): One of the people has been released from the hospital. The other is being transported to a burn center in San Antonio for further care.


A house fire on the 400 block of Sutton Lane sent two people to the hospital, Wednesday morning.

Corpus Christi Fire Department Battalion Chief J.B. DeVisser said the fire started at around 7:45 a.m. on the first floor of the home.

An off-duty firefighter who happened to be in the area was first on-scene. DeVisser said the firefighter entered the home to help, despite not having any gear with him.

No deaths have been reported, but a pet dog was taken to the vet.

This is a developing story. Check back with KRIS 6 News for updates.