CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas — Corpus Christi firefighters are investigating a blaze that started on Corpus Christi's west side Monday morning.
Battalion 2 Chief Robin McGill said CCFD received a call at approximately 6:42 a.m. of a possible barrel fire involving hazardous materials. When firefighters arrived at the scene, they realized the black smoke coming from the top of the Texas Lube and Oil Service building in the 200 block of Villa Dr. was coming from a large vacuum truck that had caught fire.
"Businesses like this deal with a lot of hazardous materials, whether it be oil or gasoline -- diesel fuel," McGill said. "They have a higher output of fire because they're gonna grow faster, they're gonna put off more heat."
Which is why McGill said firefighters took approximately four minutes to locate the fire and enter the large building after arriving on scene.
"These are more dangerous than your typical structure fire," he said. "Not to say that those aren't -- but these kinda change the game a bit. They're a little bit heightened as far as our security and our safety is concerned when we do this type of event."
Damage was limited to the truck, which was being serviced at the business. Preliminary investigation showed no structural damage to the building, and no injuries were reported.