CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas — Corpus Christi's Arts & Cultural Commission will host its sixth annual Arts Forum this week.
According to a press release,the Arts Forum is an annual event to recognize outstanding people in the local Arts community.
The Thursday night event will honor 10 different volunteers with a "Star Award, along with a "Shining Star" award for John Joseph Nelson, who has been contributing to the Bay Jammin' Concert Series for 30 years.
Here are this year's "Star Award" recipients:
- Christina Marie Gonzalez for the K Space Mural Program
- Leticia Bajuyo for the TAMU-CC Department of Art & Design
- Susan Sturman for the Chamber Music Society
- Kathleen Burrill for the Bailando International Dance Festival
- Lynda Jones for the K Space Contemporary Art Gallery
- Jordan Anderson for the Art Museum of South Texas
- Ann Marie Colosi for Corpus Christi LIVE
- Sasha Alcorta for Alcorta’s Compania de Danza Folklorica
- Simoné Sanders for the Texas Association of Black Personnel in Higher Education – Corpus Christi Chapter
- Chuck Anastos for the Corpus Christi Chapter of the American Institute of Architects
The awards will be presented on September 12 from 6:15 pm to 7 pm by Council Member Micheal Hunter at the Art Museum of South Texas.
Following the ceremony, there will be an Arts Grants meeting for 2020.
"Art Grants are available to 501c3 non-profit corporations and tax-exempt community-oriented organizations within Corpus Christi," their press release says. "Applications are for matching grants of up to $15,000."
The Arts Grants are funded by the Hotel Occupancy Tax, which collects revenue from the convention and hotel industry.