The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program helps people and families who make $66,000 or less do their taxes. This program has been in place for more than a decade but many people are still unaware it exists.
The Coastal Bend Cash Coalition and other partners offer the VITA across town, including the Salvation Army, United Way and Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi.
During the 2019 tax season, there is a VITA site open every day of the week. A taxpayer typically saves $200 by getting their taxes prepared at a Goodwill VITA site.
In 2018, the VITA Coalition Volunteers prepared more than 4,000 returns which resulted in $4 million in tax refunds.
To get your taxes done, go to any of these VITA locations .
A qualifying individual should show up in-person. Bring these items:
– Picture ID
– Social Security card or individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN) letter for all individuals
listed on the return
– W-2s, 1099s and all other tax-related documents for 2018
– Form 1095-A, B or C Health Insurance Coverage Statement
– All 1098 E&T forms for educational expenses
– Childcare provider name, address, phone number and tax ID number
– Voided check if using direct deposit for refund
– Copy of your 2017 return, if applicable
– For joint returns, both spouses must be present to sign required forms
VITA is also in need of volunteers during this tax season. Interested persons can become an IRS certified volunteer through simple and free training.
Volunteer for the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program and help hardworking individuals and families keep more of what they earn. All materials and training are supplied by the IRS to certify as a VITA tax preparer.
Attend this FREE two-day training course on Saturday and Saturday, Feb. 9 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
It will be held in the O’Connor Business Builder at Texas A&M-Corpus Christi, 6300 Ocean Dr. Those interested should RSVP to Jame Byrne at Jamey.firstname.lastname@example.org