News

Actions

Early morning fire burns in the Flour Bluff area

Posted at 7:04 AM, Feb 21, 2020
and last updated 2020-02-21 19:22:02-05

CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas — An accidental stovetop fire is being blamed for a house fire on Azores and Caribbean Drive early Friday morning in Flour Bluff.

There was a father and son inside and both got out safely, along with the family's dogs.

"He did kind of had to crawl through some smoke, him and his child had to crawl through some smoke to get out," Corpus Christi Fire Department Batallion Chief Billy Belyeu said. "But as we arrived on scene, they were waiting outside and we had our medics check them out and they're doing fine at this time."

The man and his son were treated for smoke inhalation at the scene.

The Nueces County Fire Marshal's office said a griddle that was accidentally left burning appears to have started the fire.

The blaze destroyed the kitchen and caused smoke damage throughout the house.

Fire crews had some difficulty fighting the fire because of some dogs in the backyard.

The animals wouldn't let the fire crews get near the house, so they had to be tied up.

The fire department did not have to cut a hole in the roof as they battled the blaze to help ventilate the house.

The fire call came in around 6:30 a.m.

When the fire crew arrived, they found flames in the kitchen area of the home.