On Monday, Nueces County Judge Barbara Canales stated that 2,000 people are currently waiting to be tested because testing resources are limited.
"We said we do have enough swabs to take the sample, we just don't have enough material to process it," said Canales.
The city and Nueces County have sent in 21 requests to the state for various items and supplies, and during Tuesday's daily joint city-county COVID-19 news briefing, Canales said she has no timetable for when those supplies will be here.
She did say, however, that the state will be sending the National Guard to collect 500 swab samples and take them to state labs for processing.
Canales also states that the Health Department will be testing people that are currently waiting at the rescheduled Concrete Street Amphitheater testing site on Thursday. She also has a plan working to get 500 swabs tested at a private lab.
"So I'm feeling very good about 1,500 of them so far," she said
Although, that still leaves another 500 people that are currently waiting to get tested. Canales said she plans to fill that gap by Wednesday.
"I know how frustrating it is to have to be told, we can't take you today," she said. "So we're thinking outside the box and doing things that are -- extraordinary."
Annette Rodriguez, Director of Public Health for Health Department, states it is normal for resources to run low. Her piece of advice, do not panic. She assures the community that people who have been told they can get tested, will.