CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas — The COVID-19 pandemic has altered how students are taking care of their assignments during the stay-at-home orders from their schools.
Del Mar College is providing a solution to those who might not have access to Wi-Fi and the internet at their homes, with free internet access in designated parking lots, with high-density Wi-Fi hotspots across the campus.
Students of all ages can access the college's VikingNet system seven days a week between 8 a.m. and 7 p.m. in designated parking lots that have high density access points at four DMC locations, including:
- East Campus Venters Business Building - parking lot adjacent to Ayers Street
- West Campus Health Sciences Buildings 1 & 2 - parking lot adjacent to Airport Road
- Center for Economic Development (3209 S. Staples) - parking lot adjacent to Staples
- Northwest Center in Calallen (13725 Northwest Blvd.) - parking lot behind the building.
To log into VikingNet, current DMC students will use their college-assigned username and password, which they use for WebDMC and their student email. They will be directed to a splash page where they will enter their credentials.
Non-DMC students (all grades) will gain access through a “guest account.” Users will select VikingNet as the hotspot and then fill out a guest access account request. This process is self-service and will be generated in real time.
Students who have questions or need technical assistance with accessing VikingNet can contact the Information Technology Department Help Desk Monday-Friday only between 8 a.m. and 7 p.m. They can also email Vikinghelpdesk@delmar.edu or call 698-2330.
Among the rules in place for accessing the system include:
- Free Wi-Fi service is for educational purposes only and is not for video streaming and Netflix or other entertainment service use. See the college’s acceptable use policy for more details here.
- Students must remain in their vehicles and practice social distancing at all times.
- DMC facilities are closed. Restrooms are not available.
Individuals can also view other online information about this service by visiting here.