The 8-year-old boy who became severely ill after being trapped in an apartment fire is making a remarkable recovery.
Jude Long was removed from life support on Sunday and is breathing on his own, his mother, Karen Long, said. He'll be moving to a regular room at Driscoll Children's Hospital later today.
Jude and his 12-year-old brother, Silas, were taking a nap in their mother's bedroom at Treyway Terrace Apartments on June 22 when the fire broke out.
Silas woke up but he couldn't get to his brother because of the intensity of the smoke. Their mother wasn't home because she was undergoing dialysis treatment.
Several neighbors unsuccessfully tried to help them but couldn't. When fire crews arrived, they pulled Jude from the burning apartment and rushed him to the hospital. Once he arrived, he was admitted to the intensive care unit and was on life support.
Meanwhile, his mother is thanking the community for their support and prayers.
"We've received so much support from the community. Just the prayers alone have made such an impact," Karen Long said, "The doctors are dumbfounded by his progress".
Long said she's been told Jude could be released from the hospital this week which is great news for the family.
He'll be getting out of the hospital just in time for the family to begin preparing for Jude's birthday on July 19.
Long said Jude is asking for a "Toy Story"-themed party. Long said he's asking that spaghetti with meatballs be served along with chocolate cake.
Meanwhile, he's recuperating at the hospital by playing video games until he can be released.