Statistics show that foster children are, on average, two grade levels behind in school. They face instability with their biological families, they are moved from home to home when placed in the system, and they often have no sense of self-worth or esteem.
A World for Children is an organization working to give these children hope. Part of that process will include making sure they have school supplies, a new pair of shoes and a first-day outfit of clothes when the new school year begins.
AWFC is a faith-based, non-profit child placement agency licensed by the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services to provide foster care for abused and neglected children, ages birth to 18 years.
While the State’s investigative and removal agency, Child Protective Services, has some foster care homes, the level of care that some children require and the large number of children that must go into foster care, requires private agencies to step in and license and train therapeutic families. CPS investigates and removes children from their biological homes, and then agencies such as AWFC, are called to place the children in foster care homes.
They currently serve approximately 65 foster children and 31 foster families in Nueces and the surrounding counties.
If you would like to help with the AWFC School Supply Drive, simply visit one of the many drop-off locations between July 1 and 29. Among those are:
- Box Drop Mattress& Furniture Direct (1251 Nile Drive)
- Fitbar Fitness (5814 South Staples)
- Unstoppable Nutrition (6601 Everhart Road H6)
- United CC Chamber of Commerce (602 North Staples, #150)
- New York Life Insurance Co. (5350 South Staples, #101)
- JBBM Marketing (4535 South Padre Island Drive, #6)
- Shabby Chic Collection (502 E. Front Street, Alice)
- Coastal Pharmacy (2234 Highway 361, #178, Ingleside)
For more information and other collection sites, call (361) 289-8887 or email QuirogaK@awfc.org.
Be sure to visit www.awfc.org.