CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas – Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi is hosting its 10th annual Big Event volunteer day on Saturday, April 14. This year, more than 1,000 students and alumni will collectively complete over 4,000 hours of volunteer work at 48 job sites. Some of those locations include:
- Coastal Bend Friends of Aquatics – Parker Pool in Flour Bluff, 654 Graham Rd.
- Deaf & Hard of Hearing Center – 5151 McArdle Rd.
- Coastal Bend Food Bank – 826 Krill St. (includes alumni volunteers)
- Learning Garden at Grow Local South Texas – 3808 Up River Rd.
- Kids Against Hunger – St. Mark’s Lutheran Church, 4620 S. Alameda St.
- Home of Bobbi Robinson – 229 Eastgate Dr.
- Home of Juanita Medina – 1418 17th St.
The BIG Event is a way for the campus community to connect with the community at large and express gratitude for support.
Volunteers will arrive for check-in at 8 a.m. at Curlew Plaza, located in front the Islander Dining Hall, and upon completion of check-in they will receive their Big Event t-shirts and pause for a photo opportunity at 9 a.m. Students will then disperse to one of nearly 50 worksites, where they will volunteer from approximately 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
For the first time ever, the National Islander Alumni Association is taking part in the BIG Event and Islander alumni will volunteer at food banks in alumni chapter cities including Corpus Christi, Houston, San Antonio and Austin.
A big thanks to this year’s BIG Event sponsors – Whataburger, at the gold level, and Flint Hills Resources, at the silver level.