NewsTexas News

Actions

Army announces Fort Hood leadership changes, investigation into handling of Guillen case

Fort Hood 1.JPG
Posted at 5:14 PM, Sep 01, 2020
and last updated 2020-09-01 18:19:16-04

FORT HOOD, Texas — The U.S. Army has announced previously-scheduled leadership changes at Fort Hood, as well as an investigation into the chain-of-command actions surrounding the death of Spc. Vanessa Guillen.

U.S. Army Forces Command's commanding Gen. Michael X. Garrett announced Maj. Gen. John B. Richardson IV formally will assume duties as deputy commanding general for operations of III Corps and acting senior commander of Fort Hood.

The change will take effect on Sept. 2.

Army officials said the change in leadership previously was scheduled, and will enable "continuity of command" as III Corps returns from its role leading the Combined Joint Task Force-Operation Inherent Resolve.

Richardson previously served as U.S. Army Forces Command's director of operations from 2019-2020, and was selected in March 2020 by the Department of the Army to serve as the next DCG for III Corps.

The Army also announced that Garrett will appoint Gen. John Murray, commanding general of Army Futures Command, and one of the Army’s most senior commanders, to lead an in-depth investigation into the chain-of-command actions related to Guillen.

There are currently several investigations underway at Fort Hood. The Army said those investigations are tasked with reviewing a wide range of topics and concerns. According to the Army, Murray will roll those efforts into a more complete and comprehensive investigation that will delve into all activities and levels of leadership.

Murray’s investigation, which will be conducted under the provisions of Army Regulation 15-6, is separate from the Independent Review of Fort Hood, which began in August.