An arctic cold front is making its way to the Coastal Bend, and a hard freeze is forecast on Friday and Saturday morning, where some locations could dip below freezing for 4-8 hours. As the area anticipates freezing temperatures, here's what cities and local schools are doing to prepare.
If you'd like to keep track of the condition of the Texas power grid, ERCOT has a dashboard with current conditions in the ERCOT system
School Closures, Delays
- The Diocese of Corpus Christi (8:38 p.m.) has canceled classes for schools on Friday.
- Flour Bluff ISD (8:17 p.m.) announces two-hour delay on Friday.
- Calallen ISD (7:20 p.m.) will delay the start of school and bus routes by two hours on Friday. Pre-Kinder and PPCD morning classes are canceled, but afternoon classes will run on their normal schedules.
- Orange Grove ISD (5:30 p.m.) has announced classes canceled for Friday.
- Alice ISD (5:12 p.m.) has announced classes canceled for Friday.
- Taft ISD (4:42 p.m.) has announced a delayed start on Friday. Classes will start at 10 a.m.
- Incarnate Word Academy (4:26 p.m.) campus will be closed on Friday for all students. Classes will be held online.
- Beeville ISD (3:49 p.m.) has canceled classes and extra curricular events for Friday.
- Banquete ISD (3:45 p.m.) will delay the start of classes on Friday to 10 a.m. and delayed bus routes to 8:30 a.m.
- West Oso ISD (2:57 p.m.) has delayed the opening of schools until 10 a.m. on Friday.
- Robstown ISD (3:15 p.m.) has delayed the start of school on Friday until 10 a.m. Buses will begin their routes at 8:30 a.m.
- Texas A&M-Corpus Christi has announced remote learning for all students on Friday. Employees and students should not report to campus on Friday.
- Richard Milburn Academy (2:05 p.m.) has canceled classes for Friday.
- San Diego ISD (1:34 p.m.) has announced a delayed start for classes Friday.
- Brooks County ISD (1:10 p.m.) has canceled Friday classes.
- Calallen ISD (12:49 p.m.) has announced a delayed start for bus routes and classes for Friday.
- Corpus Christi ISD (1:39 p.m.) canceled intersession tutorials and enrichment classes for Friday. CCISD employees are expected to report to work on a two-hour delay Friday.
- Jim Hogg ISD (12:40 p.m.) has announced a delayed 10 a.m. start for classes Friday.
- Sinton ISD (10:10 a.m.) has announced a delayed start of school for Friday. Classes will begin at 10 a.m.
- Brooks County ISD has announced a delayed start of school for Friday. A final determination to cancel classes will be made by end-of-school-day on Thursday.
Miscellaneous Closures, Delays
- Neighbood Center of Corpus Christi : All four locations will be closed due to weather
- Molina Neighborhood Center
- Elgin Park Neighborhood Center
- Margarite-Cal Development Center
- Gollihar Neighborhood Center
- The North/Ocean Drive Gate at NAS-CC will be closed Friday morning. Be prepared for extra traffic at Main/South Gate.
- San Patricio County facility openings will be delayed until 1 p.m. on Friday. District Courts and the County Court at Law are excluded from this delay.
- The USS Lexington will delay their opening until 11 a.m. on Friday due to forecasted winter weather.
- The Nueces County Courthouse and all other Nueces County buildings will delay opening until 10 a.m. on Friday. This excludes the Juvenile Building.
- The Texas State Aquarium has delayed opening until 11 a.m. on Friday.
- Aransas Pass city offices will delay opening until noon, according to the Aransas Pass Police Department.
- Corpus Christi Wellmed clinics and corporate offices will delay opening until noon on Friday. Clinic staff and clinicians will provide telemedicine support until clinics are open.
The City of Corpus Christi will be opening Warming Centers to help residents stay comfortable during the cold temperatures. The Warming Centers include:
- Broadmoor Senior Center, 1651 Tarlton St.
- Ethel Eyerly Senior Center, 654 Graham Rd.
- Owen R. Hopkins Library, 3202 McKinzie Rd.
- Ben F. McDonald Library, 4044 Greenwood Dr.
- La Retama Library, 805 Comanche St.
Their hours of operation will be Thursday from 12 p.m. to 6 p.m., Friday and Saturday from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., and Sunday from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m.
The Corpus Christi Regional Transportation Authority will provide free transportation to and from the Warming Centers.
Nueces County is also teaming up with the City of Corpus Christi and the City of Robstown, and will be opening the Richard Borchard Fairgrounds as a warming Center starting Thursday at 8 p.m. until Saturday at 12 p.m. CCRTA will also provide free rides to this Warming Center.
The city is working with homeless shelters and other city agencies to make sure shelter, meals, and blankets are provided for those in need.
City staff will be providing blankets, socks, hats, and information on where the homeless can find a shelter, and the Gulf Coast Humane Society is offering to host the pets of homeless persons as needed.
The following shelters will also be providing services:
- The Salvation Army
Increasing capacity by opening the sanctuary at the Center for Hope Church at 1902 Buford St. Thursday, Friday and Saturday starting at 4 p.m.
- The Good Samaritan Rescue Mission
Providing shelter for those in need at 210 S. Alameda Street.
- The Mother Teresa Shelter
Will be open Thursday and Friday from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. for meals and shelter at 513 Sam Rankin St. Will also be open on Saturday during the day as a warming shelter.
- Metro Ministries
Will be serving lunch and dinner as part of their normal weekday operations. They will open the cafeteria at 9 a.m. as a warming center Thursday and Friday.
H-E-B said it's ready and prepared to serve customers as the arctic blast makes its way across the state. The grocery chain said staff at stores, warehouses, manufacturing facilities and transportation team are ready and well equipped to help.
If you find anything out of stock, don't panic. H-E-B said it will only be temporary. Stores have additional items that workers will restock throughout the day. H-E-B is also doing its part by conserving energy to help preserve the energy grid. For more updates specifically on H-E-B, click here.