NewsLocal News


Man shot after leading police, deputies on a chase through multiple towns

Gregory police chase.jpg
shooting 1.jpg
shooting 2.jpg
shooting 3.jpg
shooting 4.jpg
Posted at 9:47 PM, Apr 19, 2021
and last updated 2021-04-20 13:32:43-04

CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas — A man was shot multiple times and faces multiple charges, including aggravated assault on an officer, after shooting at law enforcement and leading approximately 20 officers in a chase through San Patricio county.

According to San Patricio County Sheriff Oscar Rivera, the incident began in Sinton at around 6 p.m., when his deputies were called to help Sinton police with a disturbance.

He said law enforcement saw a fight taking place between a man and two women -- the man's wife and daughter, reportedly.

Rivera said the man was confronted about being armed, and fled inside the house.

After officers were able to block off the area, Rivera said the the man jumped into his SUV and forced the 15-year-old girl in with him.

The man then reportedly tried to run over a deputy, before fleeing through Sinton and Taft. Rivera said although the chase was not high-speed, the man refused to stop.

Rivera said deputies were able to slow him down using a spike strip to blow out his tires, but the suspect still was able to proceed onto Gregory, where he reportedly led numerous officers and law-enforcement units through residential neighborhoods.

After attempting to block him from leaving, Rivera said the man shot at one of his deputies through the patrol unit's windshield, hitting his deputy's hat. The deputy returned fire, despite his car partially balancing in the air on a guide wire.

Gregory police chase guidewire.jpg

It was at this point, Rivera said, the girl was able to get out of her father's vehicle and was safely rescued by another deputy.

The suspect ultimately crashed into a telephone pole, Rivera said, near Ayers and Beech streets, and fled on foot into the old Gregory Fire Department. After exchanging more gunfire with Sinton, Gregory and Taft officers, and constables, using multiples weapons, the man received multiple gunshot wounds and was taken to an area hospital.

Rivera said the man was armed with six guns.

He was taken to the hospital, where Rivera said he is alive and talking. His condition is not known.

As is protocol in an officer-involved shooting, the Texas Rangers are investigating.

No officers were injured in the incident.

This is a developing story. Check back with KRIS 6 News for updates.