CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas — In an effort to bring some relief to residents living in Calallen and Annaville, the city’s Vector Control unit will begin spraying for mosquitoes at about 8 p.m. Wednesday.
Spraying routes are determined after checking mosquito traps. Areas with the highest concentration of mosquitoes will be targeted first.
The city’s Vector Control unit will continue checking trap levels to decide where and if other areas need spraying.
After any significant rainfall, it is important the public remember their role in the effective control of mosquitoes. In addition to standing water, tall grass is also a popular breeding area for many species of mosquitoes so please keep your grass and vegetation trimmed closely. Residents are encouraged to closely follow all recommendations to help limit mosquito prevention tools by:
- Wear mosquito repellent containing DEET.
- Dress in long sleeves and pants.
- Avoid being outside during times of day when mosquitoes are most active (Dawn and Dusk).
- Drain standing water, as it will reduce any mosquito breeding grounds.
- Consult a doctor if you feel ill after being bitten.
To learn more about mosquito bite prevention, please visit the city's website here.