NewsLocal News

Actions

Man mistakenly shot by CCPD officers will pocket nearly $3 million

Posted at 11:38 AM, Jan 29, 2020
and last updated 2020-01-29 15:28:58-05

CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas — A man mistakenly shot by Corpus Christi Police Department officers last year will get close to $3 million from the city.

Richard Salazar filed a $12 million lawsuit against the city after he was shot multiple times by police officers back in March.

Yesterday, the Corpus Christi city council asked the city manager to file paperwork authorizing payment for more than $428,028 to cover medical expenses.

"The city of Corpus Christi has a $500,000 limit on what they pay,” Corpus Christi councilman Greg Smith said. “Over and above that, it goes to the insurance carrier.”

Salazar will get close to $3 million from the city and the city's insurance company.

Salazar's attorney, Rene Rodriguez, told KRIS that his client will receive $2.9 million. His original lawsuit against the city sought $12.5 million.

Rodriguez said that Salazar was shot in the hand, near his armpit and his stomach. The bullet that hit his stomach ruptured his colon and was lodged in his spine. Another bullet grazed the 23-year-old man's neck.

Rodriguez told KRIS that Salazar still has a bullet lodged in his spinal cord.

He is able to walk and recently underwent surgery for a hernia that was the result from the shooting.