CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas — Grammy Award-winning singer-songwriter Humberto "Beto" Ramon is keeping things in perspective.
"My son is alive, and I'm still breathing and talking to you right now." he said. "By the grace of God, we will somehow rebuild and stay in Corpus. We love Corpus Christi."
The Ramons lost their home and recording studio in a fire Saturday night.
Whether or not it's even possible to rebuild the burned-out house isn't clear yet, but Beto's son and his friends are camping out in tents on the property so they don't waste a minute of daylight to clean up the rubble.
Investigators say a faulty electrical outlet in the Annaville-area home started the fire when it ignited Humberto Ramon Jr.'s bed.
"After the bed went up in flames, the rest of the room went up in flames, and boom -- no more bedroom -- no more house," the younger Ramon said. "It happened pretty quickly."
Some people were inside the home when the fire started, but everyone got out safely. There's no estimate for the total amount of damage, but Beto Sr. guesses the music equipment he lost, alone, was worth $30,000. A GoFundMe page has been set up to help the family.
"Let's say 15, 16 guitars, basses, three or four pianos, and all of the recording gear," he said, listing off the destroyed instruments and equipment.
Beto Sr. said he deeply appreciates the support he's received from his son and his friends, as well as fellow local musicians.
"It's time just to pull together and try to rebuild," he said with tears in his eyes. "I apologize. I get sentimental and emotional."