The 2019 tax filing season has begun, and the deadline day for filing will be here before you know it.
Why spend some of that money before you even get it in the mail, when you can get your taxes prepared for free?
This year marks the 15th anniversary that Del Mar College has been offering the service through the Internal Revenue’s Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program.
“The first year we did this, we did about 75 returns, and last year we did about 1,000,” said Del Mar College accounting professor Adelfino Palacios. “Basically we partner with the Internal Revenue Service, and they give us a software package so we can prepare tax returns for the public at no charge,”
If you’re a working student, a retiree, or somebody who made less than $66,000 last year, hundreds of certified volunteers are waiting to help you with your state and federal tax returns.
“It is kind of a win-win; it gives our students a chance to apply what they have learned here at the college to actually prepare tax returns for the public, and it helps the public in terms of saving them money and preparing those particular tax returns,” said Palacios.
There are VITA locations all across the state, and Del Mar College is one of 10 locations here in the Coastal Bend area.
“Basically, they need to bring their photo ID, they need to bring Social Security cards for themselves as well as the dependent, and of course their W2,” Palacios said. “If they have information from their health care, it is a 1095, and we need that information. If they went to college there is a 1098 they have to bring that says how much they paid for their college tuition.”
Volunteers in the VITA program are advanced accounting students, and they will be available in room 206 at the College’s East Campus location starting January 29.
VITA Service Information:
Please note: Income tax returns will be different than previous years for many taxpayers due to the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act. This created a change to the amount withheld from each paycheck, which means a change to the amount returned in 2019. Taxpayers are encouraged to visit the IRS website for a full explanation on what to expect .
VITA Service FAQs
- The IRS will not accept tax returns until January 29, 2019; however, returns can be completed before January 29th and will be held for e-filing until January 29th.
- Tax returns claiming Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and/or Additional Child Tax Credit (CTC) will not be accepted by the IRS before February 15, 2019. The IRS anticipates that the earliest refunds from these returns will be available on February 28, 2019.
- VITA sites won’t prepare any prior year tax returns until March 11, 2019. Current year returns will be prepared prior to this date, but any returns for years 2017 and earlier will not be prepared prior to March 11th.
Make Sure You Have These Documents
- Proof of identification (photo ID)
- Social Security cards for you, your spouse and dependents. NOTE: You must have the actual card(s)
- An Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter may be substituted for you, your spouse and your dependents if you do not have a Social Security number
- Proof of foreign status, if applying for an ITIN
- Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return
- Wage and earning statements (Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R,1099-Misc) from all employers
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
- Health Insurance Exemption Certificate, if received
- A copy of last year’s federal and state returns, if available
- Proof of bank account routing and account numbers for direct deposit such as a blank check
- To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms
- Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider’s tax identifying number such as their Social Security number or business Employer Identification Number
- Forms 1095-A, B and C, Health Coverage Statements
List of VITA Locations
United Way of the Coastal Bend
4659 Everhart Rd., Corpus Christi
Opens Jan. 14, 2019
Goodwill-S. Port Ave.
2961 S. Port Ave., Corpus Christi
Tues., Wed. & Thur. 4-8pm
Sat. 9am-noon & 1-4pm
Opens Jan. 15, 2019
Workforce Solutions of the Coastal Bend Sunrise Career Center
Sunrise Mall, Corpus Christi
Sat. 9am-12:30pm (February only)
Opens Feb. 4, 2019
10209 S.P.I.D., Corpus Christi
Sat. 9am-noon & 1-4pm
Opens Jan. 19, 2019
Coastal Bend College-Alice
704 Coyote Trail, Room 206A
Opens Jan. 28, 2019
Del Mar College-East Campus
Venters Building, Second Floor
101 Baldwin Blvd., Corpus Christi
Tues. & Thur. 2-6pm
Opens Jan. 29, 2019
Nueces County Keach Family Library
1000 Terry Shamsie Blvd., Robstown
Opens Feb. 6, 2019
Coastal Bend College-Beeville
3800 Charco Rd.
George Elam Bldg., Room E116
Tues. 9-11am & 1-4pm
*New* Mobile unit Sat. 9am-noon in the Cougar Zone at the Bee County Courthouse parking lot address 105 W. Corpus Christi
Opens Jan. 30, 2019
Texas A&M University–Corpus Christi
O’Connor Bldg., Room 135
Fri. 2-6pm, Sat. 1-6pm & Sun. 1-6pm
Opens Feb. 1, 2019
Coastal Bend College–Pleasanton
1411 Bensdale, Room 130
By appointment only. Call 866-361-4222.
Opens Jan. 30, 2019