As you begin planning your New Year’s Eve festivities, the Corpus Christi Fire Department wants to remind everyone it is illegal to discharge fireworks inside the city limits, including on our beaches.
The police and fire departments will be working together to enforce this ordinance, and if found illegally using fireworks, you could be fined up to $2,000 per package.
Transporting fireworks in a vehicle inside the city limits is legal if all fireworks are in original, un-opened packages and are in the vehicles trunk or in an SUV’s cargo area.
If you will be using fireworks this holiday, please keep the following safety tips in mind:
- Children must have adult supervision
- Get landowner permission to use space outside city limits
- Alcohol and fireworks can be a dangerous combination
- Do not pick up leftover fireworks as they could still be active
- Read and follow package directions
- Never touch or hold a firework after it has been lit
- Only use fireworks outdoors
- Have an emergency extinguishing method nearby
If anyone wishes to report the illegal use of fireworks, please call the Police Department non-emergency line at (361) 826-2600. Do not call 911 for firework complaints.