Florida woman arrested after an infant in her care overdosed on Fentanyl

Posted at 3:44 PM, Aug 13, 2019
and last updated 2019-08-13 16:44:53-04

A Florida woman has been arrested after a 1-year-old girl in her care accidentally ingested drugs and overdosed on heroin, Pasco County authorities said .

According to Pasco County Sheriff's Office's arrest report, Heather Revell, 35, admitted to deputies that she had injected herself with fentanyl-laced heroin Saturday night and assumed she had gotten the drugs and paraphernalia out of her system. However, on Sunday, a 1-year-old girl in her care became lethargic and unresponsive, causing Revell to call 911.

Pasco County Fire Rescue crews arrived and determined the child was suffering from an overdose , and administered Narcan. The child then was taken to the hospital where she is expected to recover. Deputies say the Narcan dose reversed the overdose in time.

The suspect admitted to deputies she had used heroin in a bedroom located only a few feet away from the child. During a search of her bedroom, deputies discovered the heroin as well as other drug paraphernalia. Revell also admitted to deputies she had fentanyl in her puse.

Revell was charged with child neglect and possession of heroin and Xanax as well as for the drug paraphernalia.

Photo: Pasco County Sheriff's Department