Breaking News and Alerts


Driver caught after high speed chase ends in crash

Gollihar and Nicholson crash.jpg
Posted at 1:22 PM, Feb 23, 2021
and last updated 2021-02-23 20:03:24-05

CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas — A high speed chase involving local law enforcement ended, and the driver was caught, after he crashed his vehicle and ran away on foot.

The chase started around 11 a.m. Tuesday around Corbin Town Homes. It continued through La Armada, then went from Ayers, before it ended on the corner of Gollihar Rd. and Nicholson St. According to witnesses, the suspect crashed into a fence and fled on foot.

According to law enforcement, the officers were trying to conduct a traffic stop because the vehicle had an expired registration sticker when the suspect took officers on a high speed chase of over 90mph speeds. One officer was involved in an accident due to the pursuit, but nobody was injured.

The Nueces County Constables, Nueces County Sheriff's Office, and Corpus Christi Police Department conducted a 30-35 minute search for the suspect, including a K-9 unit, after the suspect fled through the backyards of neighboring houses.

“I was pretty scared, because I didn’t know what was happening, and the thought of seeing somebody in my back yard scared me, since I saw police with guns, and I didn’t know if he was armed or not," said Tahlia Quezada, whose backyard the suspect allegedly fled through.

“I have a little brother, and he was coming in and outside. I was like, ‘hey what’s going on,’ and I ran outside immediately to see what was going on because I thought they were in front of my house, and I was like, let me bring him inside, because he has autism, I didn’t want to scare him," said Dulcena Flores, who lives next door to Quezada.

Flores did not hear the initial crash, but heard sirens and came outside. She heard from neighbors the suspect may have escaped through her yard.

“All we heard was barking. It was kind of weird and scary at the same time, because he could’ve had anything on him, and I didn’t know, and like I said my little brother was in and outside of the house. That was pretty scary,” she said.

Police ended up finding the suspect inside a house on Cottage St. The homeowner said his daughter-in-law was home at the time that the suspect came into their house through an open window. He told KRIS 6 News that the man took a shower and took a pair of pants from their laundry basket.

Police have not yet released the suspect's name, but say he was sent to the hospital to be treated for minor injuries.

    This is a developing story. More information will be added as it becomes available.