House fire extinguished on Corpus Christi southside
CORPUS CHRISTI -
A southside home sustained damage but is still standing after a house fire broke out in Corpus Christi.
Crews with Corpus Christi Fire Department (CCFD) responded to the 5000 block of Eider Drive just before 7:00 p.m. Wednesday night to reports of a house fire. There, firefighters reportedly found a homeowner on the rooftop trying to fight the fire with a garden hose.
According to fire officials, the resident had been inside when a neighbor warned him that his roof had caught fire. He then rushed to his rooftop to try and extinguish the blaze himself. That made removing him firefighters first priority.
If you were wondering, firefighters advise that you should definitely not try to fight a fire like this, under any circumstances.
"We tend for...want you guys to call the fire department," explained Battalion Chief David Saenz with CCFD. "Call us first and then see what you can do. We quickly got him off the roof, and then we went ahead and took over."
Once they arrived, fire crews were able to contain and extinguish the fire within minutes. Officials said that most of the damage was confined to the chimney area, which they had to tear down and remove for safety. They believe the fire began in the fireplace but got out of control.
Reading on your phone? It's better with the app. Download the KRIS 6 News Mobile App for iOS/iPhone here and for Android here.