CCFD was able to extinguish the fire quickly, but the wind reportedly drove the fire to spread across the rooftop, causing significant damage.
CORPUS CHRISTI -
A Corpus Christi restaurant is closed until further notice after a fire broke out on the building's roof during high winds.
Just before 8:00 p.m. on Thursday night, Corpus Christi Fire Department (CCFD) responded to the 4000 block of Agnes Street after a fire broke out at El Charro restaurant.
Officials at the scene said they believe the fire began at a rooftop air conditioning unit and was then driven by high winds across the rooftop. The restaurant was promptly evacuated and there were no reports of any injuries.
CCFD was able to extinguish the fire quickly and without incident.
An investigation into the fire was ongoing, but officials believe the wind contributed to the blaze.
The restaurant suffered significant damage to the roof area and smoke damage inside and will remain closed while repairs are completed.
Reading on your phone? It's better with the app. Download the KRIS 6 News Mobile App for iOS/iPhone here and for Android here.