(NBC) A homeless man is being hailed a hero after he saved two small children from a burning apartment.
Anival Angulo heard children screaming and saw smoke coming from an apartment on Friday.
Angulo broke through a security door to get into the apartment and rescued a 10-month-old baby boy and a 3-year-old girl.
The fire started in the kitchen when the children's grandfather left food on the stove. Fire officials say the kids were in the living room and the grandfather was in a back bedroom.
Officials say the grandfather couldn't get to the children because of the fire. The children were taken to a local hospital and were treated for smoke inhalation.
"Went to the door and saw the babies, so I jumped the fence, and I pulled on the screen door, and I wrapped up the babies and pulled them out," Angulo says.
Fire officials say if it weren't for Angulo, the children could've been burned or even killed in the blaze.
Tim Szymanski, with Las Vegas Fire and Rescue, said,"If he hadn't been there, these children probably would've died, and it would've ruined everybody's holiday."
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK
FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
© KRISTV.com 2018, KRISTV.com
A CORDILLERA COMMUNICATIONS Station
All rights reserved