For some the Fourth of July means spending time with family and enjoying some BBQ. For Vernesa Jackson and her family, July 4th was a night they will never forget.
Late that Tuesday night, Jackson was getting ready to start the BBQ pit, when she was inside the home she felt something hit her leg, but did not think much of it. She walked outside to light the pit and start grilling, when she turned back around to go walk inside the house, her home was up in flames. What she thought was a rock that hit her leg, was actually a firework that ricochet inside the home and caught fire. Immediately, her home started to collapse. Jackson's sister ran inside to grab her son and as she was rushing out the house particles of the roof fell on her causing some burns on her shoulder and leg.
Vernesa Jackson said that it all happened so fast and they never got a chance to save any belongings. Jackson was renting the home and was not insured. Jackson and the rest of her family lost everything they had.
With some help from the Fire Department and American Red Cross, Vernesa Jackson has luckily had a little bit to live off of for the past week, but she still needs help to get back on her feet.
This morning at the Rising Star Baptist Church from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. there will be a BBQ plate benefit, and all the proceeds will go to Vernesa Jackson to help her start a new chapter in her life. She also has a GoFundMe page to help with raising funds, and Jackson said she is accepting any and all donations that will help get her life back on track.
Rising Star Baptist Church 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. lunch plate benefit