National News

Aug 15, 2014 4:23 AM

Woman Poisoned When She Drank Sweet Tea From BBQ Restaurant

UTAH - A Utah woman is in critical condition, after drinking sweet tea from a barbecue restaurant.

It happened in South Jordan, just outside of Salt Lake City

67 year old Jen Harding ordered a sweet tea at Dickeys Barbecue Pit on Sunday.

Police say, unfortunately, that sweet tea was two thirds full of a cleaning chemical solution, typically used to clean deep fryer equipment.

Harding's attorney says that cleaning solution looks very similar to sugar.

Paxton Guymon, Harding Family Attorney, said, "She took a sip and immediately coughed it out. Spat it out. And her first words to her husband were 'I think i just drank acid.'"

Mr. Guymon, said, " Either the store manager or an employee put six cups of this white powder substance into the ice tea mixer."

Police say right now it appears to be an accident, but they are still investigating.

Harding is in critical condition at the University of Utah's burn unit.

»Comments

Top Videos

1 2 3 4

Submit News

Do you have a tip, information about a breaking news story, or a story idea for 6 Investigates? Contact the KRIS 6 News Desk at 361-884-6666 or send us an email.

Most Popular

KRISTV.COM is Social!


Click the icons above to receive News, Weather, and Sports alerts from KRISTV.COM!

Inside KRISTV.COM

Contact Us
Send us your feedback. We want to hear from you!
Photo Central
Look at photos and videos and share them!
KRISTV.COM Mobile Website
Get KRISTV.com on your mobile or PDA!
KRISTV.COM Mobile Apps
Get our mobile apps on your mobile or PDA!
Texas Lottery
See the latest winning numbers!
6 News Team
Read about your favorite KRIS-TV personalities!
FCC Online Public File
FCC Public File of Records, Reports, and more