Posted: Nov 6, 2012 11:23 AM by Associated Press
Across Texas, hundreds of thousands of people are casting votes Tuesday for dozens of races, including the White House, Senate, Congress and the state Board of Education. Here's what they're saying about why they cast their votes:
- "The economy is part of it. But people keep saying Obama has ruined the economy. Well, look at the world. I mean the whole world is in a recession and I don't know why people think the United States isn't going to be affected." - Betty Blanton, 60, a college administrator at Texas Tech in Lubbock who voted for Obama.
- "The economy, it's a mess right now and we need to fix it. After four years it's time to give someone else a chance to see if they can make a difference. I worried, there are no jobs available. I have two kids in college and one in high school. Once they're done, what's next?" - Liz Seale, 43, a stay-at-home in El Paso who voted for Romney.
- "I'm behind (the tea party) 100 percent. Anything that can bring us back to what this country was meant to be, I'm in favor of it. I'm not a Republican. I'm not a Democrat. I'm a conservative. And that's how I base everything." - Harold Paulk, 64, a Lubbock pipeline technician who voted for Ted Cruz.
- "It's (the tea party) just such a knee-jerk reaction. And what it's created is a lot of people to follow something they don't even know they're following. They're following an ideal that if they were to sit down and repeat it themselves, they'd be horrified that they were voting for these people." - Celeste Yoshinoba, 49, an academic adviser at Texas Tech University who voted for Paul Sadler.
- "Really awesome. I'm looking forward to many years of doing it and, hopefully, looking closer at every candidate." - Teja Akella, 27, a native of India who became a U.S. citizen in 2009 and voted for the first time.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Do you have a tip, information about a breaking news story, or a story idea for 6 Investigates? Contact the KRIS 6 News Desk at 361-884-6666 or send us an email.
Look at photos and videos and share them!
| Desktop Weather
Current forecast, hurricane info, and much more!
|KRISTV.COM Mobile Website
Get KRISTV.com on your mobile or PDA!
|KRISTV.COM Mobile Apps
Get our mobile apps on your mobile or PDA!
See the latest winning numbers!
|6 News Team
Read about your favorite KRIS-TV personalities!
|FCC Online Public File
FCC Public File of Records, Reports, and more