Jan 19, 2012 12:07 PM
From Star Orthodontics
Called "wisdom teeth" because they emerge later in life, the upper and lower third molars generally cause problems because there is not enough room in the mouth for them to erupt, or break through the gum, into a normal position. As a result, these molars are often left impacted in the gum or jawbone. Impacted teeth can lead to a variety of problems including pain, infection, crowding, or damage to adjacent teeth, and can contribute to more significant health problems.
10. Limited space for wisdom teeth to erupt can lead to infection and inflammation that can spread to other teeth.
9. Oral inflammation associated with wisdom teeth may contribute to preterm or low birth weight infants.
8. Fully erupted wisdom teeth rarely provide meaningful use and are difficult to keep clean.
7. Impacted wisdom teeth may develop associated cysts and/or tumors that could require extensive procedures to remove & repair jaw function and appearance.
6. Chance of complications related to the removal of wisdom teeth increases with age.
5. Gum disease and inflammation associated with wisdom teeth may lead to receding gum tissues, deterioration of the jawbone and tooth loss.
4. Full eruption of wisdom teeth may lead to crowding of nearby teeth.
3. Even wisdom teeth that seem to be problem-free remain a breeding ground for oral infection & inflammation. This inflammation can enter the bloodstream and contribute to the development or progression of diabetes, heart disease, and stroke.
2. Wisdom teeth removed at an early age allows for easier and faster recovery.
1. PEACE OF MIND & a healthy SMILE!
*Source American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons
2 days ago
Do you have a tip, information about a breaking news story, or a story idea for 6 Investigates? Contact the KRIS 6 News Desk at 361-884-6666 or send us an email.
Send us your feedback. We want to hear from you!
Look at photos and videos and share them!
|KRISTV.COM Mobile Website
Get KRISTV.com on your mobile or PDA!
|KRISTV.COM Mobile Apps
Get our mobile apps on your mobile or PDA!
See the latest winning numbers!
|6 News Team
Read about your favorite KRIS-TV personalities!
|FCC Online Public File
FCC Public File of Records, Reports, and more