Posted: Sep 17, 2013 8:07 AM
SAN ANTONIO - A South Texas legislator says a planned $280 million streetcar system for San Antonio should be dropped amid funding issues.
The San Antonio Express-News reported Tuesday that Rep. Lyle Larson of San Antonio raised objections in a letter to VIA Metropolitan Transit. Larson responded after planners and consultant last week recommended the plan proceed.
The transit group has $210 million in place, using state and city money plus sales tax revenue for the nearly 6-mile line. Transit officials need at least another $70 million for the electric-powered system allowing streetcars to share the road with regular traffic.
VIA trustee Gerald Lee says he "respectfully" disagrees with Larson.
A public meeting on the proposal has been scheduled for Wednesday night. Trustees are expected to vote on the measure Sept. 24.
Do you have a tip, information about a breaking news story, or a story idea for 6 Investigates? Contact the KRIS 6 News Desk at 361-884-6666 or send us an email.
Send us your feedback. We want to hear from you!
Look at photos and videos and share them!
|KRISTV.COM Mobile Website
Get KRISTV.com on your mobile or PDA!
|KRISTV.COM Mobile Apps
Get our mobile apps on your mobile or PDA!
See the latest winning numbers!
|6 News Team
Read about your favorite KRIS-TV personalities!
|FCC Online Public File
FCC Public File of Records, Reports, and more