Posted: Feb 4, 2013 11:02 AM
Updated: Feb 4, 2013 11:07 AM
OKLAHOMA (KJRH) - An Oklahoma man was taken by helicopter to a Tulsa hospital after suffering injuries from a gas explosion at his home near Tahlequah early Sunday, authorities said.
Police say the 50-year-old man is in critical condition with third-degree burns over 25 percent of his body.
Cherokee County Undersheriff Jason Chennault said the explosion occurred around 7 p.m. near TNT Grocery in Briggs, and could be felt by residents in the area. Debris littered the highway by the house.
Officials say they believe an old propane leak went undetected because the house had been empty until the man moved into the three bedroom home less than a week ago.
A new stove and heater were recently installed. Both were were propane powered.
Read more: http://bit.ly/VzmgfP
Do you have a tip, information about a breaking news story, or a story idea for 6 Investigates? Contact the KRIS 6 News Desk at 361-884-6666 or send us an email.
Look at photos and videos and share them!
| Desktop Weather
Current forecast, hurricane info, and much more!
|KRISTV.COM Mobile Website
Get KRISTV.com on your mobile or PDA!
|KRISTV.COM Mobile Apps
Get our mobile apps on your mobile or PDA!
See the latest winning numbers!
|6 News Team
Read about your favorite KRIS-TV personalities!
|FCC Online Public File
FCC Public File of Records, Reports, and more