Posted: Nov 10, 2012 7:30 PM
SACRAMENTO, Calif. - Authorities say two residents of a Northern California assisted living facility have died and four others are hospitalized after eating soup with wild mushrooms.
Placer County sheriff's officials told the Sacramento Bee that 86-year-old Barbara Lopes and 73-year-old Teresa Olesniewicz - residents of Gold Age Villa, an elderly care home in Loomis - died after eating the soup that had been prepared by a caregiver at the facility.
Sheriff's Lt. Mark Reed says the caregiver who prepared the soup was among the six people sickened. The conditions of the four people hospitalized were not immediately known, and their names have not been released.
Reed says after deputies were called to the facility Friday they determined the incident was an accident.
The incident is being investigated by the California Department of Social Services, the agency that licenses senior care facilities.
Do you have a tip, information about a breaking news story, or a story idea for 6 Investigates? Contact the KRIS 6 News Desk at 361-884-6666 or send us an email.
Look at photos and videos and share them!
| Desktop Weather
Current forecast, hurricane info, and much more!
|KRISTV.COM Mobile Website
Get KRISTV.com on your mobile or PDA!
|KRISTV.COM Mobile Apps
Get our mobile apps on your mobile or PDA!
See the latest winning numbers!
|6 News Team
Read about your favorite KRIS-TV personalities!
|FCC Online Public File
FCC Public File of Records, Reports, and more