Posted: Oct 2, 2013 1:15 PM
Updated: Oct 2, 2013 1:26 PM
CORPUS CHRISTI - October is Fire Prevention Month, a perfect time for Captain James Brown of the Corpus Christi Fire Department to show what not to do with a grease fire in the kitchen.
Brown says most home fires start in the kitchen. In a panic, people will instinctively and incorrectly move the pan towards the sink and water. That's a bad move, because oil and water don't mix. The water will just spread the burning oil or grease and potentially cause burns to person moving the pan, plus spread the fire in the home.
Instead, if you see a pan on fire put a lid on it, turn off the stove, leave the home and call 911. The lack of fuel to the stove and lack of oxygen to the fire should keep the damage to a minimum.
Captain Brown says one of the big things to keep in mind -- don't leave the kitchen unattended while something's cooking.
Do you have a tip, information about a breaking news story, or a story idea for 6 Investigates? Contact the KRIS 6 News Desk at 361-884-6666 or send us an email.
Send us your feedback. We want to hear from you!
Look at photos and videos and share them!
|KRISTV.COM Mobile Website
Get KRISTV.com on your mobile or PDA!
|KRISTV.COM Mobile Apps
Get our mobile apps on your mobile or PDA!
See the latest winning numbers!
|6 News Team
Read about your favorite KRIS-TV personalities!
|FCC Online Public File
FCC Public File of Records, Reports, and more