Jul 12, 2013 11:39 AM
CORPUS CHRISTI - Early this morning people living on the southside a town heard and felt a large boom this morning. The blast at a home on Holmes Drive injured two men are on the way to a burn unit in San Antonio.
By chance, Omar Zitooni and Michael Obenhaus were eating at the IHOP on South Padre Island when they heard the same boom, but they thought it was car crash.
Once they got outside they noticed a nearby home was in flames and several others were damaged. Zitooni and Obenhaus ran towards the scene to begin their own rescue operation.
Obenhaus told us, "Probably the craziest thing I've ever been a part of. I started crying once it all happened, seeing blood, people all sliced up, and kids crying."
Zitooni says someone flashed a light to get his attention at one house. First, the family handed over a dog, then they got the kids out. Obenhaus then knocked a wall down in order to get their parents out.
The men tell us they ignored advice to stay away from a burning home and went back in looking for additional victims. Thye brought one person out to firefighters and paramedics.
"Honestly, I think its was something that anyone that was in the same situation would've done," said Zitooni.
At this hour, Holmes Drive and McArdle remains closed as investigators look into the possibility a natural gas leak leveled the home and damaged at least seven more.
Sebastian Grett tells us he was still in bed when debris came flying into his home next door. His first instinct was to get out and check on his grandmother.
"I went out the front door and I went towards truck and she was coming out of the garage, I just started yelling grandma, grandma with the faint voice I had," says Grett.
The grandson and grandmother escaped serious injury.
The Kings Square Apartments across the street also sustained damaged from the blast.
A witness tells us one of the victims said the last thing he remembered was lighting a cigarette. The blast knocked out windows at neighboring homes.
We're told a 60 year-old man and a 25-year-old man who were in the house are on their way to a San Antonio burn unit.
» There are multiple updates to this story. Please click here to get the latest information.