Mar 31, 2011 2:06 AM by From the Editors of Live Right Live Well
Toss two traditional Mediterranean beans -- chickpeas and fava -- with a lemon- and parsley-infused dressing to create the freshest of springtime salads. Fava beans, also known as broad beans, are ancient; they’ve been part of eastern Mediterranean diets since 6,000 B.C.! Roasting whole cumin seeds adds smoky earthiness to light and cool lemon juice and parsley. Parsley is rich in bone-protective vitamin K, antioxidant vitamins A and C, and phytonutrients to reduce cancer risk and promote optimal eye health.
Makes 3 3/4 cups (6 servings, about 2/3 cup each)
1 19-ounce can fava beans, rinsed and drained
1 15- to 16-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup diced red onion
2 large garlic cloves, finely minced
1/3 cup chopped fresh Italian flat-leaf parsley
3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoons roasted whole cumin seeds*
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1. Combine beans, onion, garlic, parsley and basil in a large bowl.
2. Whisk together lemon juice, olive oil, roasted cumin seeds, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
3. Pour over vegetables and toss lightly.
*Roasting Cumin Seeds
1. Heat a 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat.
2. Add 2 tablespoons whole cumin seeds and roast until they begin to release their aroma and start to turn dark, about 2 to 3 minutes.
3. Shake skillet constantly while roasting. Cool cumin seeds and store in an airtight container.
Nutrition information (per serving)
7 g protein
27 g carbohydrates
5.5 g fat (0.5 g saturated)
0 mg cholesterol
280 mg sodium
250 mg potassium
51 mg calcium
2.6 mg iron
458 IU vitamin A
21 mg vitamin C
6 g fiber
Copyright (c) 2011 Studio One Networks. All rights reserved.
Send us your feedback. We want to hear from you!
Look at photos and videos and share them!
|KRISTV.COM Mobile Website
Get KRISTV.com on your mobile or PDA!
|KRISTV.COM Mobile Apps
Get our mobile apps on your mobile or PDA!
See the latest winning numbers!
|6 News Team
Read about your favorite KRIS-TV personalities!
|FCC Online Public File
FCC Public File of Records, Reports, and more