Posted: May 26, 2011 1:06 AM by From the Editors of Live Right Live Well
Updated: May 26, 2011 1:06 AM
Wrap up an easy, flavorful and filling lunch with Korean spiced beef in lettuce leaves. This version of the classic Korean dish, bulgogi, starts with lean beef marinated in the five harmonized flavors of Korean cooking: salty, sweet, sour, hot and bitter. Sirloin, one of 29 lean cuts of beef, keeps this dish nutrient-rich and low in fat. Flank, another lean cut, can be used as well. Kimchi is the traditional spicy Korean condiment of fermented cabbage. You’ll find kimchi, as well as toasted sesame seeds and mirin, in the Asian section of most supermarkets.
Makes 8 wraps (2 per serving)
1 to 1 1/4 pounds beef sirloin steak
2 teaspoons canola oil
8 large Bibb or red lettuce leaves
2 cups cooked white rice
1 cup kimchi
1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
1/4 cup grated white onion
1/4 cup finely chopped green onions, white and green parts
1/2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger root
2 garlic cloves, finely minced
1/3 cup grated Asian pear
1 tablespoon dark sesame oil
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons mirin (Japanese sweet rice wine)
5 tablespoons lower-sodium soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
1. Place beef sirloin in freezer for 10 to 15 minutes. (This will make it easier to slice thin.)
2. While beef is in the freezer, combine all marinade ingredients in a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate or a large shallow bowl. Set aside.
3. Cut beef into very thin slices and add to marinade. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
4. Heat canola oil in a large skillet or wok over medium heat until hot. Add beef (along with the marinade that clings to the beef pieces) and cook until lightly browned -- about 4 to 5 minutes. Stir frequently.
5. Remove beef from heat and divide between lettuce leaves.
6. Top each beef lettuce wrap with 3 tablespoons rice, 2 tablespoons kimchi and a sprinkle of sesame seeds. Roll and serve immediately.
Nutrition information (per serving)
38 g protein
36 g carbohydrate
9.5 g fat (2.5 g saturated)
61 mg cholesterol
670 mg sodium
650 mg potassium
115 mg calcium
5.2 mg iron
2975 IU vitamin A
25 mg vitamin C
3 g fiber
Copyright (c) 2011 Studio One Networks. All rights reserved.
Look at photos and videos and share them!
| Desktop Weather
Current forecast, hurricane info, and much more!
|KRISTV.COM Mobile Website
Get KRISTV.com on your mobile or PDA!
|KRISTV.COM Mobile Apps
Get our mobile apps on your mobile or PDA!
See the latest winning numbers!
|6 News Team
Read about your favorite KRIS-TV personalities!
|FCC Online Public File
FCC Public File of Records, Reports, and more