May 2, 2013 3:48 PM by Ben Lloyd - firstname.lastname@example.org
SINTON - A judge in Sinton has rejected a guilty plea entered this morning by Hannah Roberts on charges of intoxication manslaughter and intoxication assault. The defense attorney and prosecutor had reached the agreement before today's hearing.
As Roberts moved to leave the courtroom she was confronted by victims' family members. State Troopers had to rush into the courtroom to get control of the situation.
Roberts is accused of killing three people and injuring two others when she crashed her car while heading south on Interstate 37 near Mathis last September.
The 22-year-old faced up to 10 years in prison after entering the plea. However, the judge ruled she will stand trial in June.
Last year, her car ended up flipped over atop another car heading north on the interstate.
Harrison Curbello, 22, a passenger in Roberts' car did not survive. The driver of the Volkswagen, Joanna Garcia, 19, and her passenger, Celest Rey Gauna, 18, were also killed in the crash. Roberts and two others were seriously injured.
According to state troopers, witnesses claimed Roberts was going about 100 miles per at hour at the time of the crash. Troopers also said at the time that alcohol likely wasn't a factor.
When we spoke to Roberts last month following a pretrial hearing she told us, "I don't know what to say. "I couldn't even imagine what I could possibly say to them because nothing is going to make it okay."