Posted: Aug 25, 2011 1:04 AM by From the Editors of Live Right Live Well
Updated: Aug 25, 2011 1:04 AM
Israeli couscous, often called pearl couscous, is a larger version of traditional wheat couscous -- and just as fast to cook. This easy side dish is the perfect take-along for family picnics, reunions and tailgate parties. In-season sweet peaches, crunchy pistachios and savory green onions star in this recipe, but any fruit, nut or vegetable combination can work too. And don’t be intimidated with grilling peaches: Simply cut into wedges and place on well-oiled grill grates until they begin to char. Look for jars of roasted ground cinnamon in the spice aisle.
Makes 10 servings (heaping 2/3 cup each)
2 cups Israeli couscous
2 cups water
1/2 cup peach nectar
2 large, ripe and firm peaches, pitted
1/2 cup coarsely chopped pistachios
1/2 cup chopped green onions, both white and green parts
2 tablespoons fresh-squeezed lemon juice
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon honey
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground roasted Saigon cinnamon
1. Combine water and peach nectar in large saucepan; bring to a boil. Add couscous; reduce heat to simmer and then cook, covered, for 8 to 10 minutes. Stir occasionally. Once cooked, stir to fluff and place couscous in large bowl.
2. While couscous cooks, whisk together lemon juice, honey, olive oil, salt and cinnamon. Set aside.
3. Cut each peach into 8 wedges. Place on well-oiled grill over medium-high heat and grill for a few minutes on each side to lightly char. Remove, let cool, then cut each wedge into thirds.
4. Add peach chunks, pistachios and green onions to cooked couscous. Pour dressing over all and toss lightly to combine.
5. Serve immediately. Refrigerate leftovers in a tightly covered container.
Nutrition information (per serving)
6.5 g protein
38 g carbohydrates
4.5 g fat (0.5 g saturated)
0 mg cholesterol
150 mg sodium
226 mg potassium
25 mg calcium
0.9 mg iron
226 IU vitamin A
6 mg vitamin C
3.5 g fiber
Copyright (c) 2011 Studio One Networks. All rights reserved.
Send us your feedback. We want to hear from you!
Look at photos and videos and share them!
|KRISTV.COM Mobile Website
Get KRISTV.com on your mobile or PDA!
|KRISTV.COM Mobile Apps
Get our mobile apps on your mobile or PDA!
See the latest winning numbers!
|6 News Team
Read about your favorite KRIS-TV personalities!
|FCC Online Public File
FCC Public File of Records, Reports, and more