Apr 4, 2013 5:55 PM by Associated Press
GALVESTON, Texas (AP) - A couple arrested in Nevada agreed Thursday to be extradited back to Texas on child abuse charges that allege they forced a 9-year-old boy to live at times in a locked wooden box.
Officials said the 43-year-old man and his 49-year-old wife appeared Thursday for a hearing in Las Vegas, two days after being found in a home not far from the Las Vegas Strip. The man is the father of the boy and the woman his stepmother.
Galveston authorities had been searching for the couple since last month, when the man was indicted on two counts of injury to a child and one count of unlawful restraint of a child. The woman was indicted on a single count of injury to a child and another count of unlawful restraint of a child.
The boy ran away from home last July and is now in foster care. The home was searched and investigators said they found an 8-by-6-foot particleboard box in a laundry room.
Adam Poole, head of the Child Abuse Division for the Galveston County District Attorney's Office, said Thursday the couple wasn't indicted until March because of a lengthy investigation that launched soon after the boy ran from the home.
He said the investigation included the U.S. Secret Service but declined to elaborate on the role the agency played.
Poole said the couple is believed to have fled Texas shortly after the indictments were issued March 7.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)