Apr 17, 2013 6:41 PM by Heather Jackson - firstname.lastname@example.org
FLOUR BLUFF - Early this morning the owner of a Flour Bluff restaurant received a wake up call that her business was burning. But it wasn't the building that concerned her most. It was what was hanging on the walls inside.
When we arrived Julie Fenner, family members and workers were busy this morning cleaning out the attic of the Boardwalk Café.
"A friend of mine came to my house and was beating on the door. And when my husband finally got the door open she said our restaurant was on fire," Julia Fenner, the Boardwalk café Owner says.
Fenner rushed down to her beloved café and found it surrounded by emergency vehicles and crews working to put out a fire in the attic.
"Kind of shocked, not believing it. I am glad no one was here when it happened, " Fenner explains.
Not only was no one hurt, she says the water heater burst-spilling water-which helped keep the fire from spreading any further than the attic.
The owner says the idea of her shop burning down and putting up a closed sign just like this one, wasn't her biggest fear. She says because something inside was more valuable.
"They told me I couldn't go into the building because it was on fire. I said I didn't care I need all my signed elvis stuff," Fenner remembers.
The walls of the restaurant have autographed Elvis posters and other pictures like the Rolling Stones. These are some of the reasons the shop is so popular.
"People come in and they don't even want to eat, they want just walk around and read what is on the walls," Fenner says.
Investigators believe old wiring from a sign is to blame, but they're still investigating.
Fenner says damage is estimated at about $30,000 but that's not stopping her. She hopes to be up and running in about a month.
"We'll persevere...we been here six years. This is our sixth year here. It is just a hump we will get over it," Fenner says.