Apr 24, 2013 9:38 AM
ARANSAS COUNTY -- On Saturday, Dakota Martinez gave birth to her son, Thomas Blaze, in her bathroom. Tuesday afternoon, her house caught fire and burned to the ground.
But Martinez, 21, wasn't home, and neither was anyone else who lives with her because they were at the hospital.
"It's a blessing in disguise," said Dakota's mother, Veronica Martinez. "I mean I don't know how else to look at it, you know?"
The family went through the rubble to see what they might be able to salvage. All they recovered was a few pictures. Dakota's husband, Zach, found the two family dogs, and broke down.
Martinez said her daughter decided on her grandson's ironic middle name before the fire happened.
Fire officials said the fire doesn't appear to be suspicious.
The Martinez family has set up an account at Charter Bank under the name "Dakota Martinez" for those who wish to donate.