Jun 6, 2013 1:22 PM by Janine Reyes
CORPUS CHRISTI -- A morning house fire caused some tense moments for the family who owns the home, when their dog disappeared. You won't believe where she turned up and its all caught on camera.
"She's worried more about her pet than anything else," Battalion Chief Frank Rodriguez told us after fighting a house fire on Daly Street this morning.
Fire crews went back in, to look for the missing family pet, a poodle named Paige who they did not find anywhere. It was their third search of the home, the first and second search was for the people who live there, since neighbors thought they may be inside.
"The report was from the neighbor that there might have been somebody inside, so, our focus shift from fighting a fire to doing a search," Rodriguez explained.
Turns out, there was no one home when the flames sparked - no people that is - the family pets, including Paige were there.
Frantic to find her, the family kept calling her name. And finally, they heard her inside. She popped up and peeked out a downstairs window. The dramatic moment is all caught on camera and on cell phone video, too.
"She was in the house, chief," a fire fighter can be heard asking on the scene. "Yeah," he responds, she was probably hiding."
The family is happy to have her back and thankful to a neighbor who spotted the fire and called 911.
That neighbor also spring into action.
When fire crews got there, they found neighbors up on the roof trying to put the flames out themselves, but, they say that's actually one of the worst things you can do.
"When you actually put water from the exterior to the interior, you're pushing it back in, because its creating steam, so if anybody is in there, its going to be like a lobster, you're going to fry them up," Rodriguez explained to us.
There is some damage to the back bedroom where the fire started.
Fortunately, all pets and people who live here are safe and perhaps it's a lesson learned for neighbors with good intentions.
"I understand people are just trying to help, but if you don't understand the science of fire and how fire works, you should just leave it up to us we'll get in there and take care of it," Rodriguez said.
Fire crews think an external A/C unit started the fire.