Posted: Jan 19, 2012 11:16 AM
From Star Orthodontics
Decalcification reveals itself as white spots or white areas on the surface of your teeth and is the earliest form of decay resulting from both a poor oral hygiene and a diet rich in sugar & acid. Once you have decalcification spots on your teeth, they are permanent scars and the damage cannot he reversed. Poor oral hygiene leads to plaque build up on your teeth and when you consume food and beverages high in sugar~ the plaque on your teeth consumes the dietary sugars and produces acids that cause the tooth enamel to weaken. The acidic plaque actually begins to leech the calcium from the enamel~ thus the term "decalcification~~.Calcium is what makes the enamel on your teeth strong and without it~ the enamel becomes soft~ leaving your teeth severely weakened and susceptible to cavities. Drinking acidic beverages such as soda~ sports drinks~ and energy drinks intensifies the decalcification process. Individuals with braces are more at risk because it is more difficult to properly clean the teeth.
Follow these tips to avoid ruining your beautiful new smile!
• Brush twice a day with a fluoride toothpaste
• Floss at least once a day
• See your dentist for regular cleanings (at least every 6 months)
• Avoid sugary or starchy snacks
• BEWARE! Carbonated soft drinks are full of sugar and acids that quickly erode tooth enamel
• Sports drinks & energy drinks are also another major culprit of decalcification so limit consumption & avoid slow sipping these acidic beverages over a long period of time!
• Use a straw positioned at the back of the mouth so that sugary and acidic liquids avoid the teeth
• Rinse the mouth with water after drinking acidic beverages
Do you have a tip, information about a breaking news story, or a story idea for 6 Investigates? Contact the KRIS 6 News Desk at 361-884-6666 or send us an email.
Send us your feedback. We want to hear from you!
Look at photos and videos and share them!
|KRISTV.COM Mobile Website
Get KRISTV.com on your mobile or PDA!
|KRISTV.COM Mobile Apps
Get our mobile apps on your mobile or PDA!
See the latest winning numbers!
|6 News Team
Read about your favorite KRIS-TV personalities!
|FCC Online Public File
FCC Public File of Records, Reports, and more