Jun 20, 2013 3:09 PM by Janine Reyes - firstname.lastname@example.org
CORPUS CHRISTI - With summer in full swing, that barbeque could turn deadly for your dog.
Tonight, we have a warning on one food item you'll want to keep a close eye on, because just last night a dog died after eating a corn cob and he's not the first one.
Angela Powell, founder of For the Love of Strays picked up Handsome when the lost pet hotline stared getting concerned calls about a dog in an alley.
"He didn't want to drink water, he didn't want to eat, would not stand up, just pretty lethargic," Powell described.
At first, they thought he might be dehydrated or having a heat stroke, rescuers brought him to the vet to find out.
"It was hard for the vet really to know how old he was, he had a lot of broken teeth," Powell said, "we don't know if its from eating rocks, chewing on a chain."
But it wasn't rocks, not a chain and not the heat; something else would ultimately become deadly for Handsome.
Something even your dog could encounter.
The vet spotted it quickly in an xray. "Of course it turned out to be the corn cob," she said. The vet did an emergency surgery, pulled it out and the hope was that Handsome would recover. Unfortunately, he didn't. Powell says after 5 days the obstruction in his intestines caused damage that could not be reversed.
This is not the first time she's seen it. "This is the 3rd stray dog we've had this happen to, and I know the strays are probably getting into the garbage because they're hungry," said Powell, "but then there are people that think it's a neat treat for their dog, and its deadly."
Of the 3, only one survived. Powell hopes getting the word out can save other dogs.
Powell says they will have a candlelight vigil next week for Handsome and other strays they could not save. For more information, click here.